Monday, October 29, 2012

Weekend Ruminations

Lots of little things over the weekend in my black and white world.  Nothing super huge.

I noticed on Saturday that the local mall is all decked out in their finest Christmas splendor.  I'm surprised they haven't convinced Saint Nick to leave the North Pole early to listen to the kids in the center court.  It's not even Halloween yet, but the Christmas spirit is alive and well.  I guess before long, we'll see Christmas lights up right after Labor Day.  Bah Humbug.  Let me overdose on Halloween candy, and then turkey and stuffing, before you start force feeding me Christmas cheer.  Seriously.

While at the mall, I visited my favorite tattoo artist.  He gave my recent (and first) tattoo a looking over, a thumbs up, and said all was healing nicely.  I think I know what will go on the right shoulder now.  I was told once you get one, you seldom stop there.  I suppose that's right.

My adventure on two wheels continues.  I've enjoyed my little 150cc scooter all year, and it's a great way to get around town for errands.  However, I've decided that cold weather riding gloves were invented for a reason.  Obviously.  Need to pick up a pair.  Driving with warm weather gloves when it's 40 degrees outside makes for some cold fingers.

I had to do a Google search to see if there was any news about hell freezing over on Saturday night.  The Des Moines Register decided to endorse Mitt Romney for President on Saturday.  Coming from one of the most liberal leaning papers in the central part of the country, I was sure that the river Styx had formed an ice crust and the devil was wearing a parka.  I suppose once in a while, sanity does take hold, even for those who favor big brother governments.

Mrs. B&W Curmudgeon found evidence of wild rodents in her kitchen on Sunday, and I knew I had to figure something out.  Last year, as the rodents made their way into the house in the fall & winter, they figured out how to steal the peanut butter from my standard $1 mouse traps.  I'd find traps with no peanut butter on them, or worse, traps that were stripped and tripped, but no rodents captured.  Not this year.  Banana flavored "Laffy Taffy" to the rescue.  Four traps set after dinner, and by bed time, the score was Curmudgeon 3, Rodents 0.  Not one piece of Laffy Taffy was missing, either.  Bring it on, punks.

Sunday was a good day at the range.  Mrs. Curmudgeon went to the range with me and we had a good session breaking in her pink .38 snubbie, which will be her primary defensive carry sidearm.  I found a nice load that reduces recoil, and she was pretty darn proficient with it.  Ladies with guns, protecting themselves and not waiting for someone else to do it.  Makes me feel good.

Watching Hurricane Sandy from 1200 miles away, knowing that we have family directly in her path is not easy.  I almost got in the Jeepster and made the drive, but was turned off by the threat of heavy snows or even blizzard conditions in the WV mountains.  Seeing that threat fizzle out, while Sandy continues to strengthen somewhat unexpectedly doesn't make the decision to say put any better.  Here's to hoping that all of our family and friends on the east coast make it through the next few days safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment