Monday, October 22, 2012

Armed Merchants

I had some money to invest today, so as I usually do when that happens, I decided to invest it in precious metals.  For the past three years, I've used the same place to buy and sell gold and silver.  They have excellent customer service, fair prices, and it's worth it to me to pass one or two other places to shop there.

The coins and fine metals are sold in the back portion of the shop, while the front portion deals with jewelry. I've only been in the front portion once or twice, but the folks up there always seemed to be just as friendly and customer oriented as the folks in the back that I've seen on a regular basis.

When I made my visit today, the folks in the back were still friendly, knowledgeable, and happy to help everyone.  And business was quite brisk today.  But all of them were sporting a new accessory to their business-casual outfits: an openly carried firearm.

It made me feel good that the proprietors were caring enough to arm themselves.  There have never been the "No Guns Allowed" signs seen at other businesses.  In fact, I've had firearms conversations in the past with a couple of the guys who work there.  Do they know I carry when I visit?  I don't know, and frankly, I don't care. My choice to carry (or not) is only a concern to me - not of anyone else.  So now, in addition to not posting a useless sign, they're taking it upon themselves to be active in the defense of their business.

(c) Oleg Volk - Used With Permission
I suppose it's in response to an attempted robbery that happened a little over a month ago.  But does that matter?  It shouldn't.  Even if the store had never been subjected to a robbery attempt, the decision to openly arm the employees is a good one.  It sends a message to customers (and hopefully criminals) that they are serious about defending what is theirs to defend.  I suppose some customers might feel ill at ease about shopping where firearms are carried out in the open, but so what?  Those who don't like it are free to shop elsewhere.  Any jewelry store in the local malls still have their employees working unarmed.  But this small shop is doing what they need to do to keep themselves (and presumably their customers) safe, and they should be congratulated for doing so.

Think it doesn't matter?  Ask the folks in Brookfield, Wisconsin.  Three workers at a spa were killed, and four others injured, when the husband of one of the victims came in shooting.  If the workers there had been armed, could the body count have been lower?

As usual, that is a question that we will never be able to answer.

All we know for sure is that seven innocent people were injured or killed, and they had no means to defend themselves.  The body count certainly couldn't have been higher had they been able to defend their lives, that much is beyond question.

No comments:

Post a Comment